A new award for podcasters has come on the scene. Its called the Academy of Podcasters. As it is presented by Stitcher, one might speculate that this is the new face of the Stitcher awards (?). According to their website: “The Academy of Podcasters Awards will be a set of honors awarded every year to the best of the best in podcasting. Through a unique take on the voting process that does not reward popularity as much as it does quality content, we believe this ceremony will soon become the most prestigious in the industry.”
It is held in Fort Worth Texas on July 31st during the Podcast Movement Conference. It is free to attend.
The Categories include:
Business and Industry
Games & Hobbies
Lifestyle and Health
Music and Music Commentary
News & Politics
Parenting, Family, and Kids
Science and Medicine
Society and Culture
Spirituality and Religion
World and International
Best New Podcast of the Year
How are the Awards winners chosen?
Winners of the Awards will be chosen as a part of a unique two step process:
10 Podcasts will be nominated as finalists in every category. Those 10 are selected as follows:
– 5 podcasts will be nominated by a combination of input from the Academy, the board, and from other podcast rating services. This will specifically be to not leave out “under the radar” podcasts, or those that for whatever reason are not on Stitcher.
1 winner will be chosen from the 10 finalists, through a multi-judge voting process:
– Each category will be assigned 5 unique judges, who are members of the Academy. These judges will not have any affiliation with the podcasts in their category, nor will they have a podcast of their own in that category. While the voting members of the Academy will be made public, the judges assigned to each category will not be.
– The judges will listen to a sample episode from each of the ten podcasts. The sample episodes will be submitted by the nominated show themselves, or chosen at random if they choose not to submit a specific episode.
– The judges will then score each podcast from 1-10 in each of a number of different criteria categories (see eligibility & criteria), and determine their total score for each podcast. All five judges’ scores are tallied for all ten podcasts, and the top scoring podcast will be declared the winner. The Board will be the only ones who know the winners until they are announced.
– The winners will be announced at the Awards Show.
- Qualified shows released: May 1, 2014 through April 30, 2015
- Nominations period: May 1, 2015 – May 31, 2015
- Final 10 in each category announced: June 1, 2015
- Sample submission period from finalists: June 1, 2015 – June 15, 2015
- Judges evaluate finalists and submit their scores: June 15, 2015 – June 30, 2015
- Winners announced: July 31, 2015 in Ft. Worth, TX the night prior to Podcast Movement.
Here is the eligibility
- Qualifying podcasts must have not released their first episode after the start of the eligibility period (May 1, 2014)
- Qualifying podcasts must not have released their most recent episode greater than one month prior to to the end of the eligibility period (April 30, 2015)
- Qualifying podcasts must be available free of charge via subscription or download.
- Qualifying podcasts are eligible to be nominated as a finalist in a maximum of one category, plus the Best Overall Podcast of the Year.
- Qualifying podcasts must be originally distributed via podcast, and not re-purposed content from a television show, terrestrial radio show, a live event, etc.
- Any interpretations of this eligibility and final say will default to the Board.
Here is how the voting is handled:
- Five independent judges who are members of the Academy will be assigned a category containing ten finalists.
- Each judge will score each podcast on a scale of 1 to 10 in the following categories, for a maximum score of 50
- Quality of audio
- Quality of content delivered
- Quality of show production
- Additional Criteria
- Additional Criteria
- The Board will then compile all votes from all judges, and the highest scored podcast from each category will be declared the winner.