The PRX Podcast Garage is a community recording studio and educational hub that is dedicated to the craft of audio storytelling. It is located in Allston, Massachusetts.
PRX, the award winning media company of Radiotopia, opened the Podcast Garage in August of 2016 to support the work of local audio and storytelling enthusiasts. Nonprofit Quarterly reported that Podcast Garage operates in a repurposed garage.
The Podcast Garage facilities feature a four-person studio with state-of-the-art recording and mixing equipment and a classroom space for audio producers. They host weekly events on the art and business of podcasting. The Podcast Garage is a program of Zone 3, a Harvard-sparked initiative to explore experimental programs, events, and retail along Western Avenue in Allston, Massachusetts.
The recording studio has the following equipment:
- 4 Shure SM7B Vocal Microphones
- 4 Sennheiser HD 280 PRO headphones
- Cloudlifter CL-4 Mic Activator
- A dedicated phone line for a remote host or guest, through a Telos digital hybrid telephone intereface
- Support for a remote host or guest via Skype
- Allen & Heath Qu-16 digital mixing board (for operation by an engineer)
- Allen & Heath Qu-Pad for in-studio control of the QU-16
- Genelec 8010A monitors for accurate mixing and mastering
- Multitrack recording directly to Hindenburg, Pro Tools, Audition, or Garageband
- Full multitrack backup recording to a dedicated hard drive
- Talkback to all hosts and guests from the control room
- 27” Intel i5Mac with multiple DAW options for mixing and post-production work
The Podcast Garage does not currently offer any editing, producing, or distribution services. They are happy to point you in the right direction, whether it be help finding a freelance editor, or resources on how to get started with getting a podcast online. The PRX Garage is primarily a DIY facility.
Podcast Garage offers a Tune-Up Membership. It costs $35 a month. All memberships begin on the first day of each month and expire on the last day of the month.
The Tune-Up Membership gets you:
- A 25% discount every time you use the studio. So, one hour is $45 instead of $60. And 30 minutes is $22.50 instead of $30. The more you record, the more you save.
- An invitation to work on your audio in their community space. Come in to edit, email, and meet other members during open hours.
- Your photo and name of your show posted on their website and the wall of our studio.
- Access to discounts from their audio and podcasting friends (like an AIR membership)
- Access to other resources at the Podcasting Garage. You can pay for the benefits you like and skip the ones you will never use.