The 2017 Third Coast Conference will take place on November 9-11 at the Hyatt Regency McCormick Place in Chicago. It includes radio producers, podcasters, journalists, documentarians, audio artists, and students. Everyone comes together to listen to each other’s work, share ideas and expertise, and make connections with future colleagues and new friends.
Conference Sessions Include:
* 2017 Provocations – A series of short talks from producers who hope to dare and ignite. Presented by Brian Reed, Al Letson, Sarah Alvarez and Mia Lobel
* Complicated Characters – Dov Charney, the founder and ex-CEO of American Apparel, built the company through his charisma and force of will. Presented by Lisa Chow
* The Argument of “Objectivity” – Is traditional “objectivity” in journalism on its way out? – Presented by Lewis Wallace and Alicia Montgomery
* How to become an investigative reporter with one simple trick: Ask a good question – Madeline Baran and Samara Freemark of In the Dark, love the intimacy of radio and the power it has to transport us into other people’s lives. But as producers of an investigative podcast, they think audio storytelling can do more.
* The Confessional: When is a Personal Story Worth Sharing? – You’d like to turn the mic on yourself to share your most personal story, but how do you ensure others will want to listen? Also, should you bare your soul, and, if you do, how do you maintain journalistic integrity while doing so? – Presented by Sally Herships and Alan Hall
* Human vs. Robot: How to track and still sound like your actual self – Great tracking is the difference between a piece that immediately moves you and one you immediately forget. – Presented by Sean Rameswaram
* AIR’s Bitchin’ Pitch Panel – A bonefide Third coast tradition, this session pulls back the curtain on one of the most difficult and important skills every producer needs to master: how to pitch. – Presented by Leila Day
All sessions are recorded and available in Third Coast International Audio Festival’s Audio Library and on the Third Coast Pocket Conference podcast. The weekend culminates with an awards ceremony honoring the winners of the Third Coast/Richard H. Driehaus Foundation Competition.