The Whickers were established in 2015 to fund and recognize original and innovative documentary. They seek to use the generous legacy of their namesake, pioneering broadcaster Alan Whicker, to support emergining film and audio documentary-makers in the production of authored programmes and to recognize exceptional audio that has already been broadcast.
Podcasters might be interested in The Wickers Radio and Audio Funding Award (RAFA). The deadline for applications is May 1, 2018. Shortlisted applicants will be notified at the end of July 2018. Shortlisted applicants will pitch their projects to the judging panel at Open City Documentary Festival in September 2018. Award-winners will be announced at the Open City award ceremony.
The Radio and Audio Funding Award (RAFA) is awarded to an emerging audio producer based anywhere in the world to produce an original radio or audio documentary which fulfills the core criteria detailed below. A main award of £7,000 is awarded to an audio documentary-maker to produce a feature-length programme. £3,000 goes to the runner-up.
Some Criteria Includes:
- A story-teller with demonstrably strong interviewing skills
- Demonstrates passion for the subject whilst retaining fair-mindedness
- Demonstrates a real sense of independence
- Personal but not partisan
- Wry humour welcome
- Strictly no “Whicker impersonations”
- Spirit of inquisitiveness that leaves viewers wanting more
- Tells us about something new and unexpected about the world
- Excites wonder
- Understands how wit can illuminate the toughest or most nuanced real life drama
Original Use of Technology:
- Playful with story-telling means – breaking new ground and/or using old ground to re-invent new style
Those who are interested in entering The Whickers Radio and Audio Funding Award should visit their website for full details. There are other criteria to be aware of. They also have put together a very informative FAQ.