Spotify created something called “Car Thing”. The purpose of Car Thing is to help Spotify learn more about people’s listening habits and preferences for the purpose of creating an unparalleled experience for Spotify users.
As you may know, Spotify acquired Gimlet Media and Anchor earlier this year. The move positioned Spotify as a premier producer of podcasts, and the leading platform for podcast creators.
Spotify points out that Americans spend 70 billion hours behind the wheel each year. That’s a lot of time spent on the road listening to podcasts and music. Car Thing is a device that Spotify will use in a test.
Here is what to know about Spotify’s test:
- Spotify is testing how people listen in the car through a voice-controlled music and podcast device called “Car Thing”.
- Car Thing was developed to help Spotify learn more about how people listen to music and podcasts. Spotify’s focus remains on becoming the world’s number one audio platform – not on creating hardware.
- The test will be done in the US only, with a small group of invited Spotify Premium users.
- Spotify might do similar voice-specific tests in the future, which could potentially involve a “Voice Thing” and a “Home Thing”.
- Spotify does not have any current plans to make the Car Thing device available to consumers. What they learn from the test will dictate how Spotify develops experiences everywhere you listen.