Southern California Public Radio has launched a new podcast division called LAist Studios. Southern California Public Radio (SCPR) is a member-supported public media network that operates across the region, reaching from Santa Barbara, down to Los Angeles and Orange Counties, and out to the Coachella Valley.
LAist Studios makes shows for the new mainstream. Our listeners are diverse and inclusive, people who crave stories and conversations from a multitude of voices. LAist Studios was created in 2019 in Pasadena, California. We’re part of Southern California Public Radio, which has run hundreds of regional and national awards for its audio storytelling.
LAist Studios says it won’t be limited by geography. “LA is a state of mind, not just a city, and our work will be made by and for people of all description around the country and the globe.” Right now, LAist is seeking your best and most creative ideas for new podcasts, new talents, and new brands.
Here are some criteria they want you to consider:
- We will serve and feature the New Mainstream, the diverse and inclusive populations of LA (and that LAs around America) – young, underrepresented and attracted to stories and conversations from a multitude of voices. This is the first priority.
- We will also make work for and about the LA-minded, those who look to the West for energy, inspiration, progress, and a sense of purpose.
- We love ideas and people with big ambitions. So bring us your best thinking about what to create for the large and hungry audiences listening to multiple podcasts every week.
- Don’t be afraid to break molds and invent new ones. Boom and busts define the California experience and we want to work with Angelenos who aren’t afraid to invent their own realities.
- We’re looking for talented people who embody LA. So bring ideas with texture and grit and a possibilities beyond one short series. Think ongoing series. Think multiple seasons.
Those who find this interesting can submit a pitch to LAist Studios by filling out a form on their website.