The latest update to the free WordPress plugin, PowerPress, created and maintained by podcasting provider, Blubrry, includes two new features: skip-to-position and emojis.
The skip-to-position feature, also known as a time-hack, allows podcast listeners to skip to a specified time set in the episode by the show host. When the link is clicked within the show notes it will go to that position in the player and start playing.
This feature, which benefits both the show host and listeners by spotlighting details that may go unnoticed, will also encourage new listeners and those looking for specific insights from a podcast.
“The Skip-to-Position enables podcasters to directly link and highlight show segments making it easier to promote a topic to their audience,” explained Todd Cochrane, RawVoice/Blubrry CEO. “I am excited to have this feature now, and we know our podcasters and their audiences will be, too.”
In a world of social media and digital communication, emojis are part of everyday life. Now, they’re also part of show notes or blog posts written on websites utilizing PowerPress. Emojis will show not only in the blog posts but also in the information displayed in the iOS Podcasts and Google Podcasts apps.
In August, Blubrry celebrated the 10 year anniversary of its PowerPress Plugin. Version 7.4 of PowerPress was released Monday, October 1st. The plugin can be downloaded on WordPress and additional information, including how to implement both new features, can be found on blubrry.com.
Audacity 2.3.0 has been released. It replaces all previous versions for Windows and macOS. It includes many new features and over 90 bugs fixes (since 2.2.2).
The Audacity Team started their blog post about Audacity 2.3.0 by identifying some known issues and indicating what can be done about them:
We are still compiling Audacity as 32-bit. Whilst MacOSX works with 32-bit, it would prefer a 64-bit version of Audacity. We are working on a 64-bit version for Mac for 2.3.1. On Windows, you may find that recording is disabled until you change Windows permissions for the microphone! This affects all versions of Audacity, and many other programs.
New features of Audacity 2.3.0 include:
- New feature – “Punch and Roll Recording”
- Pinned-play-head can now be repositioned by dragging
- Play-at-speed now can be adjusted whilst playing
- Toolbars controlling volume and speed can now be resized for greater precision.
- Macros (formerly ‘Chains’) substantially extended: New Macro palette; Macros can be bound to keyboard keys
- New commands: New ‘Tools’ menu; New ‘Scriptable’ commands
- Nyquist gains AUD-DO command
- Nyquist effects are now translatable and translated
- More dialogs have help buttons now
- Increased legibility of trackname display
- Half-wave option for controlled tracks
- Sliding Stretch
- Dialog (option) for entering labels.
For more information about these new features, visit the Audacity blog post and click on the link there that leads to that information. In addition, the blog post has information on the over 90 bugs that were in 2.2.2 that have been fixed.
There is a brand new podcast produced by Night Vale Presents called Adventures in New America. It is described as: “the first sci-fi, political satire, Afrofuturistic buddy comedy, serialized for New Americans in a new and desperate time.”
Set a few years in the future, Adventures in New America follows the escapades of two mismatched African-New-American best friends – fat, lonely curmudgeon IA and lesbian sneak-thief Simon Carr – who take on a series of increasingly high-stakes heists to get quick cash to pay for IA’s medical treatment while attempting to survive the wilds of New New York City… and a secret cabal of Tetchy Terrorist Vampire Zombies from outer space.
Adventures in New America stars Paige Gilbert, Bryan Webster, Pernell Walker (The Deuce), Starlee Kine (Mystery Show), Stephen Writer, and many more.
The first episode is called “The End”. It comes with an interesting, yet disturbing, description. “New American citizens are terrorized by supernatural beings. A man with cancer who has given up on life is saved by a younger sociopathic girl he meets outside of a poke bowl restaurant. Somebody’s baby is crying: is it yours?”
I highly recommend that you take the time to visit the Adventures in New America website. Underneath the player for the first episode, there is a list of all the characters and the people who played them. You can also find out who wrote and directed the episode, the theme song, other music included in the episode, and the people behind the scenes.
Anchor announced that it now has a Cover Art Creator. This was made possible because of a partnership between Anchor and Unsplash, a website that has a vast library of high-quality images that people are allowed to use for free.
Anchor points out that having eye-catching artwork for your podcast is an impactful way to attract new listeners. Anchor’s partnership with Unsplash enables people who are not artists, photographers, or designers, to easily create great cover art for their podcast.
The Cover Art Creator can be accessed by people who have their podcast on Anchor. It provides a curated image library. Anchor says that this library is “totally free to use even if you’re monetizing your podcast.” The Cover Art Creator also provides customizable fonts and layout of your podcast name on top of the image that you have selected.
To celebrate this new feature, Anchor will be sharing on Twitter and Instagram all podcast cover art made with the Cover Art Creator. They will use #AnchorxUnsplash. Anchor and Unsplash will select the very best 10 podcast covers and promote their respective podcasts on social to get those podcast in front of even more listeners.
Werk It 2018 will take place at venues across New York City from November 12, 2018, through November 17, 2018. It is a Women’s Podcast Festival that is produced by WNYC Studios.
Join Werk It: A Women’s Podcast Festival, the inimitable annual gathering for women shaping the future of podcasting!
Werk It is for women+ in all stages of their careers working in or hoping to break into audio and digital media. Past attendees have come from 23 states and 13 countries. They have been producers, hosts, writers, reporters, editors, engineers, social media managers, marketers, sound designers, video producers, and more.
Although Werk It is focused on empowering women, they encourage podcasters and podcast fans who identify as genderqueer, non-binary, or other who feel inspired by what we’re doing to join them at the festival and be a part of their community.
Werk It launched in 2015 with a grant from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting to expand women’s voices in podcasting. At the time, research showed that only 20% of all podcasts in the iTunes top 100 chart were hosted by women. Their mission is to get to 50% or more. By giving women opportunities to learn new skills and make professional contacts, Werk It is one way we will get there.
Visit the Werk It 2018 website to see their long list of this year’s presenters. In addition, you can also check out the 2018 Conference Schedule. It includes things happening on their Main Stage and Second Stage, as well as some Sessions.
Spit is among iHeartRadio’s newest podcasts. It is from 23andMe, a company that makes direct-to-consumer DNA tests. Genealogists take these kinds of DNA tests in order to find out more about their ancestry as well as the health related information found in their DNA.
Spit is an iHeartRadio podcast with 23andMe where host Baratunde Thursdon sits down with the most interesting cultural influencers of our time to explore how DNA testing gives us a new perspective on who we are and how we are all connected.
For those who are unaware, the name of the podcast relates to how 23andMe’s DNA test kits work. The participant fills a vial with some of their saliva (also called “spit”). That sample is used by researchers who extract the person’s DNA from the cells in their saliva sample. The genetic data is then analyzed, and the person will receive a report about what was found.
At the time I am writing this blog post, one trailer and four episodes of Spit have been released. Episode one features John Legend and Anne Wojcicki. Episode two features Wyclef Jean and Alven Tillery. Episode three features Melissa Etheridge and Sara Lamm, and episode four (the most recent episode) features Pete Wentz and Dr. Green.
Each episode delves in to interesting topics and concepts relating to genealogy and genetic testing. Some topics include:
- How Are We All Related
- What Does it Mean to Be “Family”
- Does Race Really Exist or Did We Create It?
The 23andMe blog that talks about Spit says that more episodes are to come. I think this podcast will be popular with genealogists, family historians, and people who took one of 23andMe’s DNA tests. It was smart of them to include famous people in the episodes because that will attract listeners who aren’t especially interested in DNA testing.
The winners of the 2018 People’s Choice Podcast Awards have been revealed! The announcement was made during the International Podcast Day Live event.
Here is a quick look at the podcasts that won each of the categories:
- The Adam Curry People’s Choice Award:Fantasy Football Today
- Arts: We Like Drinking
- Manager Tools Business Category: Extraordinary Women Radio with Kami Guildner
- Comedy Category:2 Girls on a Bench
- Grammar Girl Education Category: Our Fake History
- Rob has a Podcast Entertainment Category: We’re Drunk & We Know Things
- Games & Hobbies: Trivial Warfare
- Government & Organizations: Democracy Works
- Health: A Better Night’s Sleep
- Kids & Family: Cool Facts About Animals
- Feast of Fools/Fun LGBTQ Category: Derek and Romaine
- Mature: Turn Me On
- Coverville Podsafe Music Category: The Modern Vinyl Podcast
- The Majority Report Politics & News Category: Consider This
- Religion & Spirituality: For the Love with Jen Hatmaker
- The Skeptics’ Guide Science & Medicine Category: Curiosity Daily
- Society – Culture: Travel Oddities
- ESPN: Fantasy Focus Football Sports Category: The Fantasy Footballers
- This Week in Tech Technology Category: Why’d You Push That Button
- TV & Film: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Fan Podcast
Please visit the Podcast Awards website to see lists of all of the other podcasts that were nominated for each category. You can also check out lists of past winners from previous years. A video of the 13thAnnual Podcast Awards 2018 Ceremony is available on the website.
Overcast 5 has been improved for Apple Watch. Marco Arment, creator of Overcast, stated in his blog post that: “Overcast’s previous Apple Watch app really sucked.” He was able to make improvements to it after watchOS 5 was released.
Some improvements include:
Auto-Sync to Watch: This feature automatically tries to send your most recent podcasts to your Apple Watch whenever it gets a chance. “Just pick up your Watch and go”. This feature prevents the problems of having to manually sync anything and waiting for slow transfers.
Watch-crown volume control: The new design maintains the same scrollable pages of the previous version of Overcast 5, but they are now obvious, tactile cards. This design is more discoverable.
Search: You can search your podcasts and current episodes from the main screen, or go into a podcast’s screen to search its entire archive.
Siri Shortcuts: and support
For full details, you should go check out the blog post by Marco Arment. He suggests that you update your devices and then go get Overcast. I think these improvements have the potential to make life much less frustrating for people who like to listen to podcasts on their Apple Watch.
International Podcast Day is on September 30 every year. At the time I am writing this post, there are Australian podcasters participating in the live stream event. Anyone who is interested can watch 30 plus hours of free online sessions.
International Podcast Day is September 30th and is an international celebration of the power of podcasts! The celebration is a great opportunity to connect with fellow podcast listeners, podcast enthusiasts, and leaders in the podcast industry.
There are several ways to get involved with International Podcast Day:
- Use #InternationalPodcastDay to engage with others worldwide talking about the event
- Grab your mic and camera and ask someone about their favorite podcast. Share the response on social media!
- Join in numerous events in your region and around the world
- Promote by posting the official banner image on your website
- Explain to someone what a podcast is and get them hooked
- Subscribe to a new show and talk about it using #InternationalPodcastDay
There is an official International Podcast Day streaming schedule you can check out.
Saturday, September 29, 2018:
- 9:00PM – 10:00PM PDT – Freedom of [Creative] Speech – Taku Mbudzi – Australia
- 10:00PM – 11:00PM PDT – India, Podcasting and Change – Chhavi Sachdev – India
- 11:00PM – 12:00AM PDT – Forget About the Email List… I have a WhatsApp List that Subscribes to my Podcast – Bijay Gautam – India
Sunday, September 30, 2018:
- 12:00AM – 1:00AM PDT – How to Monetize Your Podcast in an Underdeveloped Podcast Scene – Giorgio Minguzzi – Italy
- 1:00AM – 2:00AM PDT – Podcasting the World’s Museums – Hannah Hethmon – Poland
- 2:00AM – 3:00AM PDT – Building the Middle East Podcast Scene for the First Time – Hebah Fisher – United Arab Emirates
- 3:00AM – 4:00AM PDT – Podcasting Politic: Bringing People and Politics Together – Cláudio Fonseca – Portugal
- 4:00AM – 5:00AM PDT – Let’s Have Brunch! Using Live Events as a Podcast Growth Strategy – Ileane Smith – United States
- 5:00AM – 6:00AM PDT – Life Behind the Mic – Why I Can’t Live Without My Podcast – Joanne Sweeney-Burke – Ireland
- 6:00AM – 7:00AM PDT – Global Platform, Local Focus – Ian Farrar – United Kingdom
- 7:00AM – 8:00AM PDT – Building a South African Podcast Network – Tayla Welsch & Quintus Potgieter – South Africa
- 8:00AM – 9:00AM PDT – Why International Brands Should be Paying Attention to France’s Growing Podcast Scene – Lory Martinez – France
- 9:00AM – 10:00AM PDT – GOLD SPONSOR – PODCAST SUCCESS ACADEMY – Top Tips for Growing Your Show You Haven’t Thought Of Yet – Jessica Kupferman from Podcast Success Academy – United States
- 10:00AM – 11:00AM PDT – The Unexpected Benefits and Value Gained from Podcasting – Rob O’Donohue – Ireland
- 11:00AM – 12:00PM PDT – PLATINUM SPONSOR – BLUBRRY – Podcast Best Practices and Common Mistakes – Todd Cochrane from Blubrry – United States
- 12:00AM – 1:00PM PDT – 5 Pillars to Creating The Ultimate Podcast Brand – Stephen Hart – Jamaica/USA
- 1:00PM – 2:00PM PDT – La Fraternidad del Podcasting en Español – Pato Lopardo – Argentina
- 2:00PM – 3:00PM PDT – The Power of Podcasts in Education – Chris Nesi – United States
- 3:00PM – 4:00PM PDT – Reasons to Podcast – Brian Crawford
- 4:00PM – 5:00PM PDT – How to Conduct Better Podcast Interviews – Annamarie Cross – Australia
- 5:00PM – 6:00PM PDT – 13th Annual People’s Choice Podcast Awards Ceremony – Todd Cochrane – United States
- 6:00PM – 7:00PM PDT – PLATINUM SPONSOR – BLUBRRY – Growth Focus for your Community – Todd Cochrane from Blubrry – United States
- 7:00PM – 8:00PM PDT – Podcasting is Just the Start … How to Market Yourself & Your Podcast – Sean Callanan
- 8:00PM – 9:00PM PDT – Audio Fiction as a Diverse Gateway to Podcasting – Elena Fernández-Collins – Puerto Rico
- 9:00PM – 10:00PM PDT – How Podcasting Has Exponentially Grown in the Phillippines & How Filipinos Are Now Telling Stories Through Podcast – Issa Perez – Philippines
- 10:00PM – 10:30PM PDT – International Podcast Day Wrap Up – Podcast Day Team & Platinum Sponsor – Steve Lee, Dave Lee, Todd Cochrane from Blubrry, Daniel J. Lewis – United States