Charlie Rose is an acclaimed interviewer and broadcast journalist. He engages America’s best thinkers, writers, politicians, athletes, entertainers, and business leaders. Recently, he added “podcasters” to that list. Charlie Rose held a Podcast Roundtable in early October of 2017.
At the time I am writing this, the Podcast Roundtable episode is available to view on the Charlie Rose website. There is also a full transcript available. Charlie Rose started the Podcast Roundtable with:
We are living in the midst of a podcast boom. With the rise of mobile, more people are consuming content in transit than ever before. Podcast has also benefited from the power of audio which many have called the most intimate form of media.
Charlie Rose identified the podcasters that took part in the Podcast Roundtable as “four people leading the podcast revolution.” They were:
- Alex Blumberg, the co-founder and CEO of Gimlet Media
- Andy Bowers, the founder and chief content officer at Panoply Media
- Paula Szuchman, the vice president of On-Demand Content at WNYC and WNYC Studios
- Jed Abumrad, the creator and co-host of Radio Lab and More Perfect
Some of the topics they covered include:
- Accessibility of podcasts – both in terms of starting one and in terms of listening to one
- What do the most successful podcasts have?
- Information about the More Perfect podcast
- Has podcasting been an opportunity for women?
- Advertising and making money from podcasting
- How is podcasting changing? How is it evolving?