Jacob Weisberg, co-founder and CEO of Pushkin Industries, announced PushNik, a premium audio subscription that will launch with Apple Podcast Subscriptions. Pushkin Industries is known for its thoughtful, chart-topping podcasts, including Revisionist History hosted by Pushkin co-founder and President Malcolm Gladwell, The Happiness Lab with Dr. Laurie Santos, Against the Rules with Michael Lewis, The Last Archive with Jill Lepore, Cautionary Tales with Tim Harford, Broken Record, and the recent #1 Apple Podcasts hit Lost Hills.
“The advertising model has fueled a huge burst of creative output and will always be important to podcasting,” said Weisberg. “But Malcom and I have always believed that paid content — whether it be through membership programs or single purchase products like audiobooks — are what independent creators like us need to thrive over the long term.
At launch, the benefits of a PushNik membership include:
- Ad-free listening across the catalogue of independently produced Pushkin podcasts, including Revisionist History, The Happiness Lab, and Against the Rules.
- Extended “Producer’s Cut” episodes from the Broken Record archive, including iconic interviews with legendary host Rick Rubin.
- The first in a series of “Where Are They Now?” Episodes from Against the Rules, in which Michael Lewis and his producers catch up with key figures from the show’s first two seasons.
- Weekly news roundups from Deep Background host and Harvard Law professor Noah Feldman, including his analysis on important Supreme Court decisions.
Over time, PushNik subscribers – “PushNiks” — will also have access to:
- Behind-the-scenes episodes and other bonus content from fan-favorite hosts, including Malcolm Gladwell, Dr. Laurie Santos, Michael Lewis, Jill Leopore, Tim Hartford, and Rick Rubin.
- Exclusive previews of upcoming shows and audiobooks.
- Early or “binge” access to select new series.
Much-anticipated next seasons of Revisionist History, The Happiness Lab and Against the Rules are scheduled to premiere later this year, and the Pushkin content calendar also includes:
- The Bomber Mafia audiobook, inspired by several episodes from the fifth season of Revisionist History, The Bomber Mafia is Malcolm Gladwell’s next audiobook, which expands on these episodes and has been produced intentionally for the audiobook format.
- The Last Archive. Harvard professor and New Yorker staff writer Jill Lepore’s podcast returns for a second season and explores the evolution of doubt over the course of the 20th century.
- A Slight Change of Plans. A new interview show hosted by Dr. Maya Shankar about navigating change.
- Be Antiracist with Ibram X. Kendi. The esteemed writer and scholar dissect the politics that contribute to racial inequality and social injustice in this co-production with iHeartMedia.
Monthly subscriptions to PushNik will cost $4.99 per month, and the introductory annual membership costs $39.99 per year. Annual memberships will increase to $49.99 per year in August. Pushkin shows will remain free with ads on Apple Podcasts and other podcast platforms.